If your family is gluten-free (by choice or necessity) you know probably noticed that dramatic spike in the prices of many everyday essentials. The biggest issue most gluten busting mommies have is sliced bread. Something we all take for granted as a go to for on the run or packed meals becomes the bane of our frugal grocery shopping existence Well my dear, clear out the freezer and get ready to bake because taking a Sunday afternoon to bake and freeze a few loaves can save you a some serious cash! How much? With coupons you can get a loaf of gluten-free sandwich bread for about $4.99…using this recipe you’re looking at under half that price! (remember that was with coupon)
- 2 1/2 cups brown rice flour
- 2/3 cup cornstarch
- 2/3 cup powdered milk
- 1 tablespoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups warm water
- 1 (1/4 ounce) packet active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- In a small bowl, combine water and yeast. Stir to combine.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- Add yeast mixture, vegetable oil and eggs.
- Using an electric mixer, mix dough for five minutes on medium-high speed.
- Lightly grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan with vegetable spay.
- Spread batter evenly into the pan.
- Lightly grease a piece of plastic wrap and cover the pan.
- Allow dough to rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake dough for 55 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 208-211°F.
- Remove bread from oven and allow it to cool in the pan for five minutes.
- After five minutes, turn bread out onto a wire rack to cool completely.