Whether your throwing a holiday bash of your own (if you are check out my Ornament Exchange Party Under $50) or attending as a guest (Check out my DIY Hostess Gift Guide) you can show off your culinary skills (don’t worry, no actual skill is required) by whipping up one of these tasty dips, they take minutes, cost pennies, and will have you carried out of the party on the shoulders of your peers! Okay that may not happen, but you will get some pretty enthusiastic mouth full head nods thrown your way.
The Classic: Warm Spinach Artichoke Dip
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Mix all of the ingredients together and pour into a 1-quart baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until bubbly.
- OPTIONAL: Sprinkle shredded cheese over the top and let it get all melty…mmmm….serve with crackers or just eat it with a spoon out of the Pyrex in the middle of the night, no one has to know.
Smoked Salmon Mouse
- Put smoked salmon in a blender or food processor, and blend until smooth. Mix in heavy cream, cream cheese, juice of half of a lemon, salt and pepper. Blend to desired consistency, done. Really, that’s it. I won’t judge if you eat the first batch by yourself alone in the dark. If the second batch doesn’t make it to the party you can always say you were mobbed by a group of alley cats on your way over.
Snowman Cheese Ball (Not to be confused with your husband the cheeseball)
- 8 oz Cream Cheese Spread
- 8 oz.Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 cup finely choppedfresh chives
- 1/4 cup Slivered Almonds, toasted (with nut allergies being what they are I skip the nuts, but I included them just for my nut loving fans, and no I’m not referring to your husband, although he is a nut)
- 1/4 tsp. ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Roasted Red Pepper (for scarf)
- Peppercorns (can be substituted for olives, or anything else you can fashion a snowman’s eye out of)
- 1baby carrot (for nose, I like to state the obvious)
- Mix first 5 ingredients until blended. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Divide the cheese mixture into 3 different-size balls (1 small, 1 medium and 1 large). Coat them with Parmesan and either stack them on top of each other using a skewer through the middle to secure them or lay them out in a row on the plate or platter so that it looks like Frosty had a little to much Egg-Nog and passed out.
- Now give him his nose, eyes, and buttons and scarf. If opting for the passed out Frosty a mini bottle of Peppermint Shnapps in one twig hand really ties the whole dish together.